.
.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Today's adventures

Today Jeff and I had our first appointment with Dawn. We had to drive to her house to meet with her. The appointment was at "2ish" and she lives in Merced. We figured leaving at 1:20 would give us plenty of time to get there. We were wrong. We got lost trying to find her house, which added time to an already long drive. We were happy when we finally found her house, and now I think (and hope) we both will remember for the next appointment the right way to get there.

The appointment went great! I really adore Dawn, I'm so excited and blessed and happy that she will be able to be our midwife. She's so sweet and calm, I know that'll be nice when I'm in labor.

We talked about everything under the sun involving pregnancy. She said my current weight gain is "beautiful," which was very encouraging for me, since I feel like a whale or a cow most of the time. She said I can gain up to 35 pounds, which at this rate I "might not hit." (Just because what I've gained--apparently, is a "low" pregnancy weight gain, and to make it to 35 means I have a loooot of packing on to do in the next few weeks.) Hearing that news made me feel pretty darn proud of myself!

My pee strip looked great, even my PH was good today! (My ph is always screwy!) She felt around on my stomach for a while and said that the baby is head down and partially engaged. (That explains the sharp tingling pains I've been feeling. Apparently this little bugger is moving his/hers head around in my pelvic bone...ouch!)

We plan on meeting again in 3 weeks. In about 2 weeks I have another appointment with Shawna, I'm supposed to get all my blood work info for Dawn. (I sure hope Shawna's office is okay with giving to us! Because I am NOT going back in for more blood work!)

My "homework" to do before our next appointment (with Dawn) is: Talk to the baby doctor we want to use, see if he'll take our insurance. And order our birthing kit.

Our appointment (actually, I'd like to call it a "Visit" instead of an appointment...) our "visit" lasted for 2 hours! After we left Jeff was texting his dad about something and mentioned our visit with the midwife and made a joke about how long it was and that our midwife likes to talk. His dad, (who is a PA and VERY medically minded) responded with, "Another reason to use a doctor instead ;-)." That comment ticked me off. I'd rather see a midwife who spends 2 hours with me and actually cares about me...questioning my nutrition, offering suggestions, trying to get to know me...really really caring about me (and Jeff!) rather than a doctor who has 7 more patients to see before the day is out and is just trying to rush along and answer questions and could really give a darn about me. Psh! Jeff's dad has no idea! Bless his soul, but he needs to get his nose out of his medical text books and open his mind up a little bit. (Loren, if you ever read this...know that I do love you!! We'll just never see eye-to-eye on these subjects! ;-))

After we left Dawn's we rushed to get some food. (Because we were STARVING!) The only fast food restaurant tiny little Merced has is a Sonic burger. We had the nastiest driest chicken sandwich I've ever tasted in my life. Yet it was amazing...yes amazing...because I was so darn hungry!

I'm feeling pretty pissed with Jeff today. (I say that with some...but not much...humor.) I've been craving girl scout cookies for weeks and weeks and weeks and have been waiting for "Girl Scout cookie season" for a loonnng time! On our way to Sonic Burger I saw a group of girls selling their cookies. I don't think I've as quick as I did then in a long time! I begged Jeff to stop, but did he? Noooo... "We have to go get real food, Honey." Real food my butt. That was my 1st girl scout cookie sighting of this year. I told him the next stand I saw, he HAD to pull over. I told him I even had a $10 bill in my wallet, that has been sitting there for weeks waiting to be spent on girl scout cookies. So a few minutes later, on the road side, was a group of girls in front of their house selling more cookies! I yelled for Jeff to pull over. But did he? Noooo. "We'll get some back in town, Honey." Back in town my BUTT!

Our drive "back to town" took us 2 stinkin hours! Traffic was terrrrrribble. I pouted the whole way home, because had he had stopped for those cookies, I could have been munching away on them for two hours. But nooo. I had nothing to much on except my fury! By the time we got back into town it was 7:00. We drove around in Turlock for a while looking for anyone selling those delicious little cookies, but I guess girl scout girlies are in bed at 7:00 or something. (Don't they know there are pregnant women who crave these cookies like no other? Selfish little girls.)

Right now, I'm eating my ice cream, pecking away at my keyboard and still fuming at Jeff--who is trying to dump a handful of salt on my head as a test to see whether I'm pregnant with a boy or a girl. Goofy, I know. But we'll try anything. ;-) An Assyrian woman in a store the other day told us that her nationality uses this method to see what they are pregnant with. Someone will sneak some salt onto the pregnant woman's head and watch her to see if she touches her hair (sign of a girl) or touches her face (sign of a boy.) Unfortunately for Jeff, I've caught him each time he's tried this. Hopefully at some point tonight he gets sneaky enough to do it without my knowing so we can see what I do. ;-)

I'm off to finish my bowl of ice cream. Not nearly as tasty as girl scout cookies, but I guess it'll have to do for tonight. Jeff owes me a long and lovely back massage. It might help redeem him a bit, and maybe even move him from the dog house to the garage for the evening. ;-)
(kidding of course...)

No comments:

Post a Comment