.
.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

So. many. different. types. of. cloth. diapers.

Oh my goodness, when I opened this cloth diapering can of worms...I had NO idea there was so much studying and research behind it!!! There are so many different types of diapers, so many different brands of diapers, ect. ect. ect. I've been doing so much diapering research, that seriously, I've been dreaming about diapers at night.

UGH! Thank-heavens this is just a short season; once I figure out which cloth diapering path I'm going to take (meaning which type, brand, ect), it'll be very easy to maintain and keep up with. But for now, my head hurts and I'm tired of dreaming about diapers. ;-)

As I'm sorting through different types of cloth diapers, I'm trying to decide which is going to be best for me, my baby and Jeff. (Because, yes, he will be helping me change diapers!)

It's a bit confusing on some of these diapers to understand the differences between them. But I'll figure it out soon!! I'm determined!

These are the different categories of cloth diapers:

Prefolds
Prefolds are the most economical and versatile way to cloth diaper. Prefolds are soft, absorbent, and can be adjusted to fit your baby. Pins are no longer needed to fasten prefolds - just use a Snappi! Another option is to just fold a prefold into thirds and lay inside a cover, which means you don't need to fasten the prefold! Choose between bleached and unbleached. (A waterproof cover is needed.)
Cost: $1.25 - $8.95




Contours
Contour diapers are similar to prefolds except they are preformed to fit your baby - that means they don't need to be folded. You can use a Snappi to fasten them, but you can also lay them inside a snug cover and you're set to go! (A waterproof cover is needed.)
Cost: $7.95-$11.95



Fitteds
Fitted diapers are shaped like disposables and close with snaps or Velcro. The big advantage to a fitted diaper is that they have elastic at the legs and back, which makes them excellent at containing messes. Not all fitted diapers contain messes equally, though, but Kissaluvs are known for being virtually leak-free (one of the best newborn diapers). By using a fitted diaper instead of prefolds or contours, your covers will get dirty less often, leaving them available for reuse. In addition, you can choose to use a cover made from wool or fleece. (A waterproof cover is needed.)
Cost: $10.95 - $22.95



Pocket Diapers
Whoa, cloth diapers have come a long way! Pocket diapers are as easy to use as disposables! These diapers keep your baby's skin dry and rash-free, are easy to use, and dry quickly. They consist of a waterproof outer layer sewn to an internal layer of fleece. An absorbent insert is stuffed between these two layers. When your baby pees, the moisture travels through the fleece and is absorbed by the insert, leaving only the dry fleece touching your baby's skin! Many people consider these "All-In-Ones" because no additional cover is needed. Fuzzi Bunz close with snaps and Happy Heiny's close with Velcro (excellent for daycare and babysitters). The most popular, innovative one-size (meaning they fit from 12 lbs through potty learning) pocket diapers on the market is made by bumGenius!. (An insert is needed.)
Cost: $17.95 - $25.95



All-In-Ones
All-In-Ones are truly as easy to use as disposables! These diapers are very similar to pocket diapers, except the absorbent part of the diaper either snaps or is sewn to the inside of the waterproof outer. That means you don't need to "stuff" the diaper with an insert. All In Ones are ready to use... no additional cover or insert is needed. bumGenius! makes both a One-Size AIO (made of organic cotton inside) and a sized AIO, and they are among the trimmest cloth diapers available. Thirsties also makes an AIO with a pocket so that you can add absorbency for naps or nighttime.
Cost: $15.95 - $25.95


Information from: Jillian's Drawers

See what I mean?!? So many different types! I don't even know where to start with my deciding which to go with. I think I will probably try a mix of the types...I'm thinking prefolds and pocket diapers. We'll see... still have much researching to do on the subject! More cloth diapering posts will be coming soon... (yay for my readers! hehehe...)

No comments:

Post a Comment