.
.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Strawberries & Cream oatmeal update




This morning I made some Strawberries and cream oatmeal, following Martha Stewart's recipe. http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/strawberry-oatmeal-breakfast

The first complaint I have is: I wasted 1 3/4 cup of milk. I've never made oatmeal in milk before, and don't plan on doing it again. I could have just as easily cooked the oatmeal itself in water--which to me, cooks quicker and tastes just about the same.

My second complaint, which is my fault, is: next time I need to heat the strawberries up before adding them to the oatmeal. I didn't think about it this time, and my frozen chopped up strawberries immediately cooled off the oatmeal itself. To a fault. It was a bit chilly to eat.

The third thing I noticed is: the strawberries need to sit for a while in the sugar. I only let them sit for a few minutes today, but I think next time I'll let them sit over night or something. Just to totally sweeten them up and take away the tart flavor. I used frozen strawberries, which are always a bit more "tart" than fresh strawberries. So though the oatmeal wasn't terrible, it was just a tad sour for our taste.

I make this "oatmeal review" sound terrible awful, but it wasn't that bad at all. I just know there is a lot I could do different to make it taste even better. It smelled absolutely amazing, but just didn't taste like the instant garbage that I love so much.

Oh! And another thing: sour cream on oatmeal? Really? It's kind of weird. Tasting, looking and well, pretty much it just doesn't go. Next time we will be omitting the sour cream and going for some milk and sugar. (Or even whipping cream!!) We shall see... :-)

On the menu for tomorrow's breakfast is...baked peanut butter oatmeal! Stay tuned for another "oatmeal review," coming tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment