.
.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Date Night = dinner & baby registering

Can you believe, since Jeff and I have been married, we've never gone out to dinner for a nice sit down meal just the two of us. (Ok, we did on our honeymoon and on our anniversary get away, but never "just because.") Tonight we went out for Valentine's day, though I think we both kind of forgot that we were going out for that reason, and instead chose to think of the date as a "just because" date. It was more fun that way. :-)

Our restaurant choices were a toss up between Applebee's and Chili's. Jeff wanted Chili's, and I wanted Applebee's. On our way out to Modesto, we decided to settle the decision by an old fashioned game of "Rock, Paper, Scissors." Jeff won--though I think there was a bit of cheating involved on his part. ;-p

We got to Chili's around 6:45 and spent the next 15 minutes driving in circles looking for a parking space. There wasn't any close to the restaurant, so we ended up having to run like madmen in the rain. It was fun though.

When we eat out, we always pick a cheap item and never order appetizers. We decided tonight to ignore prices and order a tray of salsa and chips. (That's a big deal for us cheapos!)






Jeff ordered a scary looking burger. And I ordered a yummy sounding salad/chicken wrap type thing. Neither of us were very impressed. The fries and chips were delicious, but neither of us overly enjoyed our main course.



We both agreed: next time we go to Chili's...stick with what we know is yummy:

The taco soup and salad deal:

We decided that after dinner we were finally going to go start our baby registry. We couldn't decide between Babies R Us or Target. I like Target better, because it's more practical and cheap. But when we were at the Turlock target the other day, the entire baby department was on clearance, which could prove tricky for those of us needing to registry, and the ones who need to shop.


We decided to go to Target first, and see what they had before deciding where to register.

We walked around in Target for a few minutes and eventually decided that "Babies R Us has everything we need." So we left and headed to Babies R Us.

It was pouring rain, so Jeff excitedly parked in the "Expecting Mothers" parking spot. I teased him, telling him my Bradley instructor would be mad if she knew that's where we parked. (She always says "park far away from the store and walk! None of those stupid "expecting mothers parking spots...") But Jeff justified his actions by insisting, "Just tell her it was raining...she'll understand."

We had already set up a registry a few weeks ago, but hadn't added anything to it yet. So tonight we didn't have to go through the sign-up process, we just had a few minutes of pre-scanning stuff to do. Then we got our magic zapper and off we went.

I quickly discovered something: Babies R Us is too big to register at. It's overwhelming and stressful! I walked around in a daze, while Jeff ran around playing Laser Tag with his magic scanner. (I think I'm going to have dreams tonight that include his laser beam sound effect...he was having way to much fun!)

We walked through half the store scanning some items, but like I already said, it was just so overwhelming. We ended up leaving to go register at Target. (But only after I got my free $10 gift card for opening a registry... :-D)

One thing I learned tonight about Target Vs Babies R Us: Babies R Us has everything, but so does Target. The only difference is Target's selection is practical. Babies R Us has all those fun gadgets that mom's and dad's will never really use. The other thing I discovered is: Babies R Us (believe it or not...) is about 1-3 dollars cheaper on all of the small items in their store compared to Target, but about 50-75 dollars more expensive on all of their larger items. Weird, huh?

We got to Target at 9:30--they close at 10:00, so we were feeling rushed. We opened our registry account, got another magic gun, and off we went. They shut lights off (well, dimmed them. A.K.A. "leave our store now...we are closed...") before we were finished. But I was much less overwhelmed at Target than I was at Babies R Us. We plan on finishing our Target registry tomorrow, and plan on deleting our Babies R Us registry once I spend my free gift card. ;-) (Okay, I'm kidding...I don't think we'll be deleting our Babies R Us registry!)

My most "not-so-proud" moment of the day, was this evening when I got my fat hand stuck in one of those cut outs on a box that say "Feel me." Jeff thought it was hilarious and took a picture. Mean old guy!


And that was our fun-filled evening! I can't wait til tomorrow to go finish our registry up!

Thank-you Sweetie for taking me to dinner and going baby registering with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment