.
.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Strawberries & Cream Oatmeal

Serves 4

1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and thinly sliced
1 to 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar, firmly packed
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 tablespoon sour cream

Directions
1.In a small bowl, toss 1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and thinly sliced, with 1 to 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark-brown sugar. Let sit at least 5 minutes to bring out the juices.
2.In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 3/4 cups water, 1 3/4 cups milk, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in 2 cups quick-cooking oats; cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, 5 to 6 minutes.
3.Ladle oatmeal into bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and some of the strawberries; sprinkle with brown sugar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been trying to find an oatmeal recipe that tastes as delicious as the instant oatmeal packets. I absolutely hate home cooked oatmeal, but loooove the packets. However, they can get expensive to buy, and I know they aren't nearly as healthy as home cooked oatmeal. Thus, I've begun a search for a home cooked oatmeal, with an instant oatmeal flavor!

I found this recipe on Marthastewart.com and am thinking about trying it tomorrow for breakfast. I'm not sure however about the whole sour cream idea...sounds weird. I guess I'll know if it's yummy or not tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment