.
.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bradley class #3

Tonight was Bradley class. For some reason, I pulled a major blank and I didn't bring a snack (I was on snack week!) didn't bring the books back and didn't bring my eating chart. Thankfully my teacher, Debbra, was very gracious and forgave me.

We talked about nursing tonight, which I thought was strange since it doesn't really have to do with labor. Or so I thought anyways. I guess it's incredibly important to nurse the baby the second it comes out, as it helps contract your uterus and prevent bleeding and other problems.

That's kind of a bummer, since I'd rather spend a few minutes oooh-ing and awww-ing over my new little baby, and not trying to see it's beautiful face as it's attached to my boob. But as Debbra said, "You'll have the rest of it's life to gaze at its face."

For the most part I love everything Debbra says. But some things she teaches I'm not sure I agree with. For instance, tonight she was saying that after the baby is born every woman should go into a slight state of shock and shake violently. If they don't, then that's a bad sign. I have to say, I don't think I agree with this at all. Labor and delivery is a natural thing that our bodies as women were designed for. I don't think having a baby should put you into a state of shock. I don't know though, I know my mom has shaken after all of her deliveries and it's just "normal" for her. I'd like to research that myself however to see what I think.

I really love Debbra as a person and a teacher. She's so honest and feisty it's awesome. But one thing she said tonight was a bit sad. She was saying that she never liked the act of nursing. She nursed because she knew it was best for her babies, but didn't "like" doing it. I've obviously never nursed before, so who knows? In 6 months I might really dislike it. But as of now, I can't wait! Having a baby depend on me for food and comfort is so exciting to me. Knowing that every two hours that baby needs *me*...not daddy or mimi...but ME is an awesome thought. Not to mention the chance to bond with that baby like nobody else will be able to. It's all just a sweet and exciting thought. So it was sad to hear Debbra say that she didn't like nursing.

Because we missed last week, I didn't get a new nutrition sheet to fill out. I'll admit here, that I did not eat the way I should this week--Mainly, because I knew I didn't have to be accountable for what I ate. (Sorry sweet baby!) So when she handed me a new sheet tonight I thought, "Darn it!!" Needless to say, as I'm typing this post out, I'm sipping on my fruit packed smoothie trying to make up for last week. :-(























Something interesting I learned tonight: Did you know no testing has been done on sonogram technology and safety since the 70's??!! And since the 70's our sono technology has sky rocketed!! It's 100x more powerful and in depth than in the 70's when it was declared "unknown whether it's safe or not."

The studies they did in the 70's showed that the sonar waves caused cells (the baby's cells!) to "mutate." Since it's still unknown today whether they are safe or not, the health freak people (the one's with the initials...FDA or something like that?) suggest only using the technology in increments of less than 15 minutes at a time. To me, the fact that they have been deemed "unknown" when it comes to safety tells me to just stay away from them in general.

Something else of interest...the same sonar technology that they use on our bellies to see our babies is the exact same technology and waves they use with the dolphins. And did you know that whoever does the experiments and uses the sonar technology on the dolphins have been sued countless times by people claiming it to be "inhumane and dangerous?"

How is it inhumane and dangerous to use that equipment on a dolphin in a large body of water, where they can easily swim away and escape the sonar waves. But it's expected by doctors and people alike to use the same waves on our bellies--a much smaller space than an area of the ocean--on a baby who can't swim away?

Now you tell me, who's the one being "inhumane" and acting "dangerously?"

Among these topics and others, we also discussed constipation and poop. The other couples giggled awkwardly, but my mom and I, who are poop talking pro's didn't even bat an eyelash. Debbra was explaining what pooping should be like, and I kept thinking, "Oh yesss...I know exactly what you are speaking of. Have you met my mom? You should join us for dinner sometime..." Poop is a very common subject in the Ney house. We like poop, probably too much. It's funny to me how most people don't know what a "normal" poop should feel and look like.

Poor people. They have no idea how wonderful pooping can be...

No comments:

Post a Comment